BE PREPARED! HAVE A PLAN…
Having a plan–and practicing it–can make things go a little smoother. Most disasters are natural disasters, the result of some force of nature, such as tornadoes, hurricanes, and floods. Some natural disasters can be predicted, such as hurricanes and severe winter storms, while others, such as tornadoes and earthquakes, happen with little or no warning.
When putting together a plan, don’t forget any family members that may have special needs or disabilities. Don’t forget about your pets! They are family, too.
There are many websites that can help you put your plan together:
Winter Preparedness Tips:
- Know what to do before, during, and after a winter storm.
- Listen to a weather radio, local officials, news channels, and/or social media for weather updates.
- Have emergency supplies in place at home, at work, and in the car.
- Stay off the road during and after a winter storm.
- Have a carbon monoxide alarm in place, especially if using alternative heating devices.
- Use safe heating devices.