- Channahon Fire Department Established
July 28, 1950
The Channahon Fire Department was established on July 28th 1950. The first five trustees were:
– John N. Westerveld
– Steve Rittof
– John J. Dollinger
– Robert J. Lamping
– Lawrence R. Jeffery
- First Elected Officers
August 31, 1950
The first five officers were elected on August 31, 1950;
– Steve Rittof as Fire Chief
– Everett McCoy as Fire Assistant
– L.W. Piercy as Second Assistant
– Maurice Frederick as Captain
– Charles Crawford as Lieutenant
- First Building Constructed
- The first building began construction in 1951 at the intersection of Center and Jessup.
- Fire Protection District Established
- The Fire Protection District was established in 1960 and covered 40sq miles.
- Fire Protection Vehicles Purchased
- The Fire Protection District purchased three fire protection vehicles in 1965.
- Dive Team Established
- In 1978, The Fire Protection District established the rescue dive team.
- New Station Opened
- In 1978, the Fire Protection District opened a new station at 24929 Center Street.
- First Full-Time EMT-I
- In 1985 the first full-time EMT-I’s were hired working eight (8) hour shifts.
- First Full-Time Paramedics
- In 1995, full-time paramedics were hired to work twenty-four hour shifts.
- First Full-Time Fire Chief
- In 2000, David Riddle was hired s the District’s first full-time Fire Chief.